This can be Vegan if you watch which pastry you buy !
- 1 roll ready made shortcrust pastry.
- 1tbsp oil
- Mixture of vegetables – peppers, all colours, courgette, onions, red and brown, leeks etc
- 6 eggs.
- 6 tablespoons cold water. You can use cream if it’s not vegan.
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed.
- Handful basil leaves
- 200g grated strong cheese
- Baking beans
- Baking paper.
- Cut all the veg in medium sized pieces, place in a colander and sprinkle well with salt, leave aside to drain.
- Line a 12” flan tin with the pastry – you might have to piece it together at the edges
- Prick the pastry, place the paper on top and cover with a layer of beans. Place in oven 180 for 15 mins. Remove the paper and beans and return to the oven until lightly browned. Remove and cool
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Squeeze any remaining moisture out of the veg and put into the hot oil ad add he garlic. Fry briskly until tender and browned a little here and there.
- Remove from the heat and spread over the pastry base. Scatter over the bay leaves
- Beat the eggs together, add the water and season well. Pour over the veg.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and place on oven 180 until risen and golden brown. Serve with mixed salad.