If you are yeast sensitive you will have found that most readymade sauces or mixes are off the menu. So, I try making my own !!!
- 1tbsp butter
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1tbsp flour
- 500ml milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 1tsp dijon mustard
- 1tsp ground black pepper
- A good, basic start is to make a roux is melted butter and stirring in flour. When this is well mixed slowly add the milk, stirring all the time. Stir until it thickens.
- In a separate pot, add a little oil and add the shallot and red pepper, stirring until soft. Add one crushed clove of garlic clove.
- Combine with the milk mix and add bay leaves, salt and pepper and return to a low heat. Now is the time to add a bit more flavour. Add the Dijon mustard, ground black pepper and a teaspoon of crushed peppercorns, multi coloured ones are nice.
- For something a bit different use good chicken stock instead of half the milk.
- Check the seasoning and adjust accordingly.