This is a delicious way to eat courgettes. Simple stewy flavours.
- 1tbsp oil
- 2 large courgettes, sliced – not too thinly
- 600g potatoes, thinly sliced and boiled until tender
- 2 cartons chopped tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Sprinkling of grated cheese
- Salad to serve
- The sauce can be made in advance. Add the tomatoes, garlic, thyme and bay leaves to a pot simmer gently for 10minutes.
- Boil the sliced potato until tender (around 7minutes), drain and set aside.
- Slice the courgette, heat the oil in a pan, season and fry gently for ten minutes. Turn half way so as not to burn. (Do it in batches if needs be)
- Layer 1/2 of the courgette in an oven proof dish, top with 1/2 tomato sauce, 1/2 potatoes – then repeat until. Sprinkle with cheese and bake in the oven for 40minutes.
Tip – if you have left over chicken, stir it into the sauce.