I have been craving rice crispie mars bar squares all week, but I wanted to think of a way to make them without the massive sugar kick….. this is what I came up with. They’re slightly chewy but hold a little crunch and very, very moreish. The best guilt free treat for a mid afternoon break.
- 200g medjool dates, soaked
- 100g sugar free rice crispies (I use Sainsburys organic)
- 100g sugar free cornflakes (I use Sainsburys organic)
- 4tbsp maple syrup
- 3tbsp almond butter (available in most supermarkets)
- 170g dark chocolate (my favourite is Green and blacks 70%
- Pour boiling water over the dates and leave to soak.
- Line a brownie tin with parchment.
- Mix the cornflakes and crispies in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the nut butter, maple syrup and drained, mashed dates. Stir and crush with a fork until a pretty smooth consistency.
- Add to the crispy mix, stir well and press into the tin. Press down hard to stick them together.
- Pop in the fridge while you melt your chocolate.
- Spread the melted chocolate over the crispy mix and return to fridge for a few hours before cutting into squares. Enjoy.