I love a winter salad. Warm veg with crisp leaves are so comforting. This has a lovely sweetness that the kids adore too.
- 1tbsp oil
- 1 small squash, peeled and chopped
- 100g pecans
- pinch salt
- maple syrup to cover
- Handful of rocket
- 1 large carrot, peeled into ribbons (I use a standard peeler)
- Dressing – 2tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1tsp honey
- Firstly roast the squash. Toss the chopped squash in oil and spread onto a baking sheet and roast in the oven for around 1hour, turning.
- Next, make the nuts. Simply heat a dry frying pan until hot. Add the nuts, a pinch of salt and enough maple syrup to cover. Toss the nuts well and fry, stirring, until bubbling and caramelised.
- Remove and spread onto baking parchment to cool.
- Now make the dressing. Simply put all the ingredient in a bowl and mix. When ready to eat, toss the squash, nuts, rocket and carrot together in a big bowl with the dressing and split between plates. Enjoy