This is a very flexible recipe so feel free to tweak it with whatever you have at hand. Use fish or beef/lamb instead.
- 2tbsp oil
- 2 handfuls of cooked, shredded chicken
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 3 rashes of smoked bacon, chopped
- ½ small tin of sweetcorn
- 20g frozen peas
- 20g frozen green beans
- 2 slices of wheaten bread for croutons
- 2 large handfuls of mixed leaves
- 1 handful of chopped fresh herbs (anything you have)
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 cucumber, quartered and sliced
- 1 celery stick, halved and sliced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- large glug of olive oil
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a frying pan, add the onion, chicken and bacon and cook until browned and soft.
- Put the frozen veg in a pan of boiling water to soften.
- Stir the sweetcorn and veg into the bacon mix.
- Now make the croutons – cut the bread into little squares, heat the remaining oil in a pan and fry until crisp and brown.
- In a large salad bowl mix the leaves, tomatoes, cucumber, celery and herbs. Top with the warm chicken mix. Glug on some olive oil, squeeze the lemon, toss quickly and serve.