This is one recipe I am sooooo excited about!! A lemon cake with NO REFINED SUGARS!! It is soft and spongy, sweet and lovely.
- 2 lemons
- 140g plain flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 5 eggs, separated into yolks and whites
- 100ml maple syrup
- 80ml oil
- Pinch of salt
- (I chose to ice it as a special treat – if you want to 200g icing sugar, zest of 1 lemon, juice of ½ lemon)
- Mix the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and the zest from both lemons in a bowl.
- Place the egg yolks, maple, oil and 2tbsp of lemon juice in a bowl and whisk until pale.
- Gently stir in the flour mixture.
- Place the egg whites in a bowl with the salt and beat until fluffy.
- Gently fold into the flour mix. Spoon into a round cake tin and bake for 40mins. Leave too cool.
- Mix the icing sugar with the lemon juice and zest until smooth and just pourable. Pour over the cake. Yummmm!!