There is nothing nicer than roasted veg, am I right? The sweet earth flavours. The tenderness. Everything about it oozes comfort.
Butternut squash is perfect for roasting with simple, clean flavours as it’s nuttiness lifts the dish all by itself. If you want a fast prep, one tray dinner, give this a whirl.
- 1 large butternut squash
- 2 large red onions, cut into wedges
- 2 large white onions, cut into wedges
- 11/2 bulbs of garlic
- Glug of olive oil
- 400g carton butter beans
- Handful of garden herbs – any will do. Whatever is in the fridge, or growing in the window box.
- Salad to serve
- Dice the squash into bite sized pieces. Peel the garlic and chop the onion. Put on a roasting tray and toss in the oil and seasoning. Roast in the oven under tin foil for thirty minutes.
- Remove the foil, roast for a further fifteen.
- Drain the beans, stir into the veg mix, recover and roast for another ten minutes. Remove from the oven, stir in the herbs and serve with a big, leafy green salad.