It’s getting colder outside and all I was craving tonight was a big bowl of warm, stewed flavours. That’s exactly what this is. With a cowboy kick to it.
- 2tbsp oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 large carrots, halved and sliced
- 2 peppers (red and yellow), chopped roughly
- 1 large courgette, halved and thickly sliced
- 300g tomatoes chopped (or use an extra carton of chopped)
- 1 carton of chopped tomatoes
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2tsp mixed herbs
- 2tsp smoked paprika
- 1tsp cumin
- 1 pack of pre-cooked puy lentils
- Heat the oil in a pot. Add the onion and garlic and cook until browning.
- Stir in the carrots, pepper, courgette, tomatoes and herbs and spices and cook for 5minutes.
- Add the potato and stock and bring to the boil. Turn down and simmer with a lid on for 1-2hours. The longer the better, stirring occasionally.
- Ten minutes before servining, add the lentils, remove the lid and let the casserole thicken.