Greece is one of my favourite countries, not just because of the sun but the food is unreal. Such beautiful flavours and textures. This meat free version is packed with lentils instead of meat but the fullness of the aubergine keeps it authentic and filling.
- 3tbsp oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 8oz aubergine, sliced
- 1 carton chopped tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4oz lentils
- 1tsp oregano
- 200ml vegetable stock
- Topping – 150g soft cheese
- 1 egg
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion and aubergine, turning everything over in the oil to coat and then cook until golden.
- Meanwhile, add the lentils, tomatoes, garlic, stock and oregano to a pan and simmer with a lid for 20minutes.
- Layer the aubergine and lentil mix alternately.
- Mix the topping ingredient together and dollop across the top. Cook in the over for 30minutes. Serve with greek salad.