We host a yearly Christmas party in my parents house, this year I made this as a table piece to help feed the guests. It was very quick to make and looks quite impressive.
- 1 380g pack sausages
- 2 ready roll puff pastries
- 20g chopped dried cranberries
- 20g chopped apricots
- 20g chopped nuts
- handful sage, chopped
- Zest of 1 large orange
- 1 egg
- Firstly, slice down the center of each sausage and tip out the meat.
- Stir in the chopped fruit, nuts, herbs and seasoning.
- Unroll your pastry and cut one of the blocks in half – set aside. Join what you have left together, gently pressing along the seam.
- Now take the sausage mix and shape into a thick sausage shape down the center. Brush the edges with egg and fold the top half, down and over the sausage, pressing gently down on the join. Do not be alarmed, there should be a bit of overfold left.
- Now lift the pastry onto your tray (I used a pizza tray) and bend into a ring, again, gently pressing at the join. Brush the surface with egg. Now for that reserved pastry. Take a small Christmas cutter – holy, Christmas tree etc and cut out 10-12 shapes. Place these on the top, and along the overfold in a pattern you like. Brush with egg again. Place in the oven to cook for 20minutes. When serving, decorate with sprigs of holy, pine, red currents etc.